Tuesday, February 21, 2012

progress...

After a bit of a struggle to get started I've started making progress with a piece for the empty spaces theme.  In my first post about working with this theme I mentioned that I had the problem of too many ideas.  That problem snowballed into too many ideas and not being happy with any of them which in turn morphed into a complete lack of ideas.  So I went back to my sketchbook...



These are just a few of the pages from my sketchbook that I created as I brainstormed what do do with this theme.  There are a lot more pages but I think you can see that I was a bit all over the place with my ideas.   Part of the problem was that I had convinced myself that I should create a vessel or some other 3d structure.  I latched onto that idea and because I wouldn't let it go but at the same time was feeling that it wasn't the piece I wanted to create I worked myself right into a creative block.

So I put everything away for a while and worked on some other projects.  I needed to stop trying to force the process and wanted to create some distance from it.  After a week or so I went back to my sketchbooks and flipped through the pages and I saw another theme coming through: the empty space created between the lines.  It was an aha moment and I was off and creating...


"the space between the lines" work in progress




No comments: