Friday, August 2, 2013

the hard stuff

It's hard to believe that metal can lids and bottle caps can be so textural and sculptural. Natalya here, I finally had a chance to see the El Anatsui exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum and I was blown away! Hurry it's only up until August 18th! Talk about such a different take on stitching..... 

I must share, as I have already shared on Facebook and on my own blog, this quote that just spoke volumes to me: "The process of stitching, especially the repetitive aspect, slows down action and I believe makes thinking deeper. It's like the effect of a good mantra on the mind."

Enjoy the images that I had a hard time winnowing down, I wanted to share all 80 or so...
That last image is a stunner. The metal manages to look light and ethereal too!

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

I could look at 80 of those photos. I think what speaks to me the most about Anatsui's work is how he manages to make hard, sharp metal look so warm, sheer, and pliable. It drapes like really luxurious fabric and I love that.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

exactly Kristin!

Blogger said...

Ever wanted to get free YouTube Views?
Did you know you can get these AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FOR FREE by registering on Add Me Fast?