|I started with an empty box and added a red square. Working digitally, I created a line of progressively larger dots. I envisioned french knots, with the larger knots having an extra wrap of thread.|
|In this version, I added lines of digital stitches. Another way to think of it is a line with "empty spaces."|
|I added black to further break up the empty space, and added more lines of vertical digital stitches.|
|I turned off the digital layer with the stitches and started to experiment with the shape of the black rectangle.|
|I added perspective and then experimented again with digital stitches.|
Also of interest, on the other side of the back wall are people looking at a different piece in the exhibit. While anyone within the room could see those behind the room, those outside could not see in. More food for contemplation.
As I thought more about that exhibit, I started going through folders of photographs I'd taken around that time period. In the process, I started pulling out copies of ones I might want to work with. After weeding them down, I decided on two below to form the basis of my piece -- an open road that I took from the front passenger seat while traveling out west and a photo of a window from a decaying building in England.
I selected more photos with things that can move through space -- a bird, a sheep, a train, a flying machine, and I selected an escalator and a statute. The escalator was taken inside a science museum, and I loved the neon colors reflected on it. Two photos that comes up a lot in my personal work are a replica of daVinci's flying machine that was on display at the V&A Museum and a Paris-bound train with daVinci artwork on it (although I've added to the image above). The flying machine is in two pieces I've made: The Journey and Another Journey, and the train image is in a piece not on my website yet.
I opened all of the images in Photoshop and began working with them. Night after night, more nights after night, I worked on the design. Version after version, layer after layer.
|This is one of the versions I came up with.|
As you can see, the above has a lot of layers, groups, and groups within groups of layers going on. My next goal was turning off layers to see what I could remove.
|While I like this, it seemed to also need some type of framework.|
The above is the final piece called "Faith" which is left for you to interpret however you wish. While the image is bordered in gray, I suspect there will be no binding or border on it, but rather a facing. My intent is to print it on silk and hand stitch it. Because I have several versions of it, in color and without, I also hope that it is the first in a series.
I often find the path to a new work is an interesting one, and I hope you've enjoyed the thinking behind this piece.